Monday, November 2, 2009

Blog Entry #5

My top five books from the blurb bookstore are:
1.Waiting for the Light by Michael Fuller
2.Blue Light by Linde Waidhofer
3.Visual Dialogue III: Dark by James Gerht
4.Photography by Neringa Normantaite
5.Terra Emota by Chip Forelli

1.The design was simplistic which made me look at the images more than anything.I enjoyed the variety of images. Most were landscapes but he also included still life. I liked that the back cover was only one single centered image without text.
2. The black frame around the blue image really works on the cover. This cover really caught my eye, and its my favorite cover of all the books. The back cover is also my favorite, it made me feel like I was coming out of the cavern.I think its vertical shots were the best placed in the book. Also, the pages that were next to each other were well linked together.
3. I liked that he had an artist statement at the beginning, but then avoided using text in the rest of the book. I like that though the images are not close in subject matter they are close in theme, since these are images that represent darkness. He played around with different sizes to the photographs. I however didn't like the back cover the two images were not arranges well in the space.
4. The cover was the most striking of this book. The image was very strong, and she had the negative space serve as a spot for the title. The title went up vertically which, I found to be an interesting new twist.I enjoyed the white border around the pictures and the black pages. There also were many pages that held more than one images but they images went well together. I liked that she split it into categories, nature and people.
5.I liked the Terra Emota book because all its images were well related to one another. The theme was nature and the beauty of it. I like that he kept text minimal and small under the photographs. He didn't play around with different placings of his pictures but I think this worked well for him. I also liked that the cover and title page in the book were infused with a picture.

My book proposal

For my book I want to take night shots. I want to capture places that people usually frequent during the day but not at night. I want to show what happens when people are not around and what they could be missing out on.I'm going to shot in black and white and in color, then after the first shoot decide which is stronger. Access to the places should not be too hard since they will be public places like a park or something like that. My times would be the only thing restricted. All the shots would be of course shot after sunset and before midnight most likely.I think my sequencing would be by time have the fist photos in the book be early night and the end of the book be late night. I believe the only text I will be using will be on the front cover, I don't want to title my work. I believe I would have about 30 pages because I might play around with having multiple images on one page. For example have the large view of a subject at night then the next page have four shots of close-ups on that subject. My audience would be anyone really interested in seeing things that happen at night. I think there is a curiosity about what happens when people are at home or in bed, and can not see whats going outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment